Saturday, June 27, 2015

Historical Moments

I would just like to say how proud I am to be an American today.

I'm not always proud of my country. When we invade another country, when we watch as our government officials are bought and sold to the highest bidder behind the scenes, when we allow companies to damage our environment and hurt our citizens all in the name of corporate profit I am tempted to pull the brim of my hat low over my eyes, flip up my collar and go on the lam, like a crimeless Carmen Sandiego. I never do, though, and instead I roll up my sleeves and get busy working to change the things that need changing.

Today is a day that reminds me why I stay and do the heavy lifting. Congratulations to the people who are now legally able to be married today. Congratulations to all the people who still have their health insurance because the SCOTUS voted in favor of the affordable care act. And, while I don't live there, congratulations to all the people in California who determined that whatever beliefs you hold do not allow you to force disease onto other people and have removed the religious exemptions for vaccination requirements. We should all join hands and rejoice in our success. Let's continue to make sure all of our citizens are healthy, happy and included in all of the very best parts of our society.

No comments:

Post a Comment